Workplace Ergonomics Tips
Many of us are at jobs where we sit at a desk most of the day, and usually looking at a computer. Despite its popularity, this type of work environment is not necessarily natural for our body, especially when various stressors are involved. Below are some ergonomic-friendly office tips:
- Don’t spend too many hours in front of your screen, sitting in the same position. Take breaks and walk around.
- Mix up your work schedule so you aren’t at your desk all day one day, and being active all day another day.
- Drink a lot of water! When you drink a lot of water, you get up to fill up your glass more, use the bathroom more are exercising your muscles and giving your eyes and brain a break. Plus, it is good to hydrate your muscles!
- Adjust the height of monitors so that your chin is in line with the middle of the monitor screen.
- Take a break and look out the window for about 30 seconds. This helps your eyes adjust their focus tension and let them relax.
- If you’re on the phone a lot, get a headset. Tilting your neck to hold a handheld phone can be detrimental to your neck and shoulder.
Back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and other various aches are often caused by our work environments. A few adjustments and some minor office changes can be a big difference in your health and how you feel at work. On this segment of The Drs In, Dr. Michael Milbauer explains other ergonomic tips and explains their importance.